Renters Insurance Protection

Renters Insurance

Everything You Need to Know

Tenants or Renters Insurance is an excellent product for those who rent someone’s place to reside. A landlord takes a lot of responsibility for the outside of the building and often the appliances and fixtures. You are still responsible for your belongings. Our Renters Insurance Policy can provide you with new clothes, furniture, and kitchen equipment, and a lot more in the event of an insured loss. The most significant part of an insured loss is your electronics. These items now make up most people’s expenses and can also be replaced. While your landlord is replacing your building, we have coverages for additional living costs. You are keeping a roof over your head during this often traumatizing experience.



Every piece of property used for residential purposes has a portion of Tenants or Renters Insurance. This property is called building coverage by insurance companies. The policy holders’ insurance policy has lines of coverage called personal property, additional expenses, and personal liability. Tenants or Renters Insurance involves the liability that arises when someone gets injured inside the property that you are leasing or renting. It is a good idea to keep up with all the building insurance, not just for security, but to make sure you are adequately covered if your dryer or furnace causes a fire or your pipes burst. This insurance protects your property from damage caused by fire, lightning, accidents, smoke, etc. However, rental property insurance is somewhat unique. As a renter, you often live in a property that is under the care of your landlord.



More and more tenants are having their properties damaged by a natural disaster. As a result, people need money to provide for themselves and their children. Tenants or Renters Insurance will provide a soft landing for these people. The additional living expenses portion will ensure that you get back on your feet and take care of the other expenses you need until the repair of your apartment.  We cover your expenses in case of a damaged renter’s unit. We can provide emergency funds to help with unexpected expenses such as food and increased additional living expenses.


A renter’s landlord policy is only for the rental unit structure. Your policy will cover extra living expenses, like clothes. We cover unforeseen perils when you have an accident in your home. Our policy protects you from legal proceedings and insurance claims that occur on your premises. What can happen is that the tenant or their landlord is held responsible for the damage caused by an insured loss. Anyways, often the landlord is never able to cover all their expenses.


During a claim, the Tenants or Renters Insurance will reimburse you for your rent. You must provide evidence that the damage was due to damage caused by your landlord. An insurance adjuster inspects the damage, and then they work with the insurance company. The insurance company will reimburse you for furniture damage that you can prove was caused by the incident. Having a receipt or proof of your purchases is important.  Click here for a checklist you can use to track your belongings and contents.  Or you can make a video of all of your belongings but make sure you keep a copy in a safe place away from your home in case of fire or water damage in your unit.



A common misconception of Tenants or Renters Insurance is that you buy it just because you don’t want the landlord to take your items after an accident. But here’s the thing, a landlord has zero liability when it comes to damage to the items in your home. Our policy can cover rent for the month, a deposit on the new room you move into, and an additional amount, just in case, for other expenses. It is essential to know what makes Tenants or Renters Insurance unique because it covers things that your landlord’s insurance will not. And there are a lot of things that the landlord’s insurance won’t cover. It allows you to prevent a loss for yourself. If you damage something valuable or lose something expensive in a fire, there are special coverages available.



Tenants or Renters Insurance is there when you need it. It covers the price you’re paying for your rent. Your landlord has insurance, but there is always the risk that sudden destruction will occur to the entire building. I don’t need to get into too many details, but this could cost you a lot of money. Also, a large kitchen appliance can cost hundreds of dollars to replace. Knowing this, you will now be able to rest easy, knowing that should something catastrophic happens to your dwelling, your Tenants or Renters Insurance will be helping you out. A landlord is responsible for items that are inside common areas. If the house or building is not 100% insured, when something unexpected happens, your landlord is on the hook for some time, but your Renters Insurance covers your belongings while they work on re-building.



Let’s look at the basics of Tenants or Renters Insurance. With all the reports we’ve read over the past few years, one would think that the overwhelming majority of all claims are physical damage inside a home. Here is a story that helped me understand that the actual threat that a home poses is far different than the conventional home insurance industry suggests. Last December, my mother-in-law was home alone when a fire broke out in a neighbouring building. Fortunately, local firefighters extinguished it quickly. However, the entire building was heavily damaged. There was a ton of smoke damage in her unit. She was able to claim even though it was the neighbour’s building where the fire started.


You’re responsible for the exterior of your property. Some homeowners, unfortunately, are not as reliable as you. When you do something to the surface of your building, say on your balcony, and something falls from it, you are responsible for the replacement. Unless you sign a clause stating your landlord cannot hold you accountable, you will be liable. Tenants or Renters Insurance can cover the replacement cost for things like busted locks or leaking roofs. Your landlord will still be held responsible for the building and the appliances inside.

Finding a suitable insurance provider is one of the first steps that many renters make before even renting a place to live. There are two primary ways that renters protect their items: carrying the insurance policy themselves or with a third-party company, like an insurance broker, to ensure the landlord and the property are equally covered. In many cases, renters are satisfied with the prices that these providers offer. Making sure you work with a dedicated insurance broker in this aspect of insurance is paramount. The coverages will be more than relevant.



There is a lot of business involved with leasing or renting a property. If you are looking to stay dry through life events, it would be a great idea to consider getting Tenants or Renters insurance. You can ensure that you aren’t out anything in the event of a property damage claim.  Contact us today if you have questions or require more information by chat, email, phone or text.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *